Saturday, March 14, 2009


today's YouTube one of my favorite songs Ronnie Lane and Slim Chance--Debris (I had the Faces version on the B-side of "Stay With Me")

I left you on the debris
At the Sunday morning market,
You were sorting through the odds and ends,
You was looking for a bargain

I heard your footsteps at the front door
& that old familiar love song
Cause you knew you'd find me waiting there,
At the top of the stairs

I went there & back
Just to see how far it is
And you tried to tell me
But I had to learn for myself

There's more trouble at the depot
With the general workers union
& you said they'll never change a thing
shook for head & and they're not working

Oh you was my hero
Now you are my good friend
I've been there and back
and I know how far it is...

But I left you on the Debris
Now we both know you got no money
And I wonder what you would have been
Without me hanging around...

a nice version by Billy Bragg (who says that Lane wrote it for his father)
more