Friday, August 29, 2003

Coming in from a one am backyard under the plum tree cocktail with PC of T found a spider in a ball resting on the tallest icecube in the bourbon. My touching the edge of the cube gently caused it to unfold itself like a hand opening, and it sank bank waving into the drink, assuming as it sunk the same hunched posture. Fishing it out with a spoon I rested the now unconscious spider in a dry part of the sink. PC said I should have drunk it, that such a thing was considered "good luck". This morning, warming the mug for my coffee I saw the spider, who had climbed out of the sink and was now enjoying something sugary on the counter, but it had already started spinning, so was able to lift web and spider with a knitting needle and deposit it in the front porch planter. Off to Newcastle Island today.