Friday, March 05, 2004

Sasha Frere-Jones on the "Goodbye Babylon" gospel box: "The idea of blood as somehow cleansing when it's outside your body is a terrible and powerful idea. Walking up from New York's Bowling Green subway station last week, I became aware of the big hole to my left--Ground Zero--as I listened to Joshua White sing 'I Don't Intend To Die in Egypt Land.' His performance is low-key, less hysterical than much of Goodbye, Babylon. He sings, 'I don't intend to stop till I reach the promise land/ I don't intend to die in Egypt land.' The words jolted me and made me look up. The site is covered with American flags--some official placards welded to the fence, others homemade tributes made from flowers or bits of paper. And there, inside the perimeter fence, is the only visible relic of the two towers: two steel beams welded together to make a cross. Goodbye, Babylon makes the agnostic in me want to jump and shout. The empiricist in me can't help but notice the road out of Babylon is paved with sorrow and blood, usually someone else's."