Saturday, July 24, 2004


(Jimmie Rogers, Maybelle, A.P. and Sara Carter) the lyrics of all the Original Carter Family songs--

"Don't Forget This Song

My home's in old Virginia among the lovely hills,
The memory of my birthplace lies in my bosom still.

I did not like my fireside, I did not like my home,
I have a mind for rambling so far away from home.

It was on one moonlight evening the stars were shining bright,
And with an ugly dagger I made the spirit fly.

To friends I'll bid adieu to parents I'll bid farewell,
I landed in Chicago in the very midst of hell.

Twas then the sober struck me as plain as you can see--
I'm doomed I'm ruined forever throughout eternity.

I courted a fair young lady her name I will not tell,
Oh why should I disgrace her when I am doomed for hell?

But now upon my scaffold my time's not very long,
You may forget the singer but don't forget this song." Posted by Hello