Tuesday, May 10, 2005


Mr. Boswell dines with Professor Kant I'm not sure, I think this may be a wheeze of some sort, but I liked it anyway...

"Herr Kant said, that his grandfather had come from Scotland above a hundred years ago16, & that he owed his dispassionate temperament to his scottish Ancestors. Scotsmen, he said, are marked above men of all other Nations, by their Prudence, Perseverence, & Coolness. His words ravishd me. I told Herr Kant, that I had Acquaintance with the branch of his Family, wc had remaind in Edinburgh. This was heedless of me, & to evade inquiry into their Circumstances17, I hurry'd on, to tell him, that I had as cousins the von Boswell18 family in Tilsit, whose Founder had gone from Auchinleck to sweden, & had come down into germany with the Lion of the North.19 Mr Kant's Pride in his scottish Blood, & my connexion with the noble german Faniily, wc bears my Name, made him and me "hale fellows well met." You sure was mighty comfortable.

Mr Kant is small in stature, extreamly thin, & has one shoulder higher than t'other. He has a lofty forehead, & large blue eyes, in wc there is a look of Melancholy, tho' his Manner is chearfull, and not that of a pensive & gloomy Metaphysician. His wig did not fit well, and from time to time his manservant put it right. His nose is red. His fingers are staind with tobacco. His linnen is of purest white. He was drest in a yellow velvet cloak, black silk bretches, & blue stockings with silver buckles. His voice is low, but I think that he can speak to a large auditory." Posted by Hello