Friday, May 26, 2006


Looking up the 1953 Van Heflin movie "Battleground" (on later today in TCM's all-war Memorial Day weekend) in my 1981 blue Bantam paperback "Movies on TV: conceived and edited by Steven H. Scheur" I remembered why older editions of that series (at some point in the 80's it was completely redone, badly) are worth looking out for--I only re-found it recently. It's terse, opaquely auterist critical language greatly appealed to (and undoubtedly influenced) my younger self. Here's a sentence of the "Battleground" entry: "Retains interest for Wellman's gritty, abstract schematicism, but he fails to reach the pinnacle set by his "Story of G.I. Joe"." What could! Almost something of the great Donald Phelps (that Lover of Dorn & Dwan!) about that. But here's my all-time favorite--which I urge young poseur types to memorize--from the entry for Preminger's 1952 "Angel Face"--"It's so well measured in minute calibrations of lighting and framing that the essential shallowness of the sexual premise is never overcome by the intensity of the implacable style." Works for anything!


 Posted by Picasa