Tuesday, June 06, 2006




from Sillyhow Stride a long poem for singer Warren Zevon by Paul Muldoon (excuse the re-formatting)--



"...At that very moment, quite unbidden,

the ghost of Minoru Yamasaki
(who had trailed me from the bar at Nobu) exhorted me to "Turn them speakers
up full blast now Lucies, who scarce seven hours herself unmasks,

is sunk so low as my Twin Towers . . .". Brian Jones's patent winkle-pickers
reflected a patent sky. "All strange wonders that befell
me while the rest of them recorded Beggars

Banquet and I was sunk so low in Twickenham, lovers coming with crystal vials
to take my tears . . .". "I'll do my crying in the rain
with Don and Phil,"

said Yamasaki-san, "I'll do my crying with Frank and Jesse waiting for a train . . .
Those lines you wrote about the blood-bath
at my Twin Towers, about the sky being full of carrion,

those were my Twin Towers, right?" Brian, meanwhile, continued to puff
on the flute as if he were indeed corporeal,
as if he were no less substantial than the elder-pith

nay on which he played a hurry home early
version of "Walk Right Back", the "Walk Right Back"
you yourself had played night after night with Frank and Jesse Everly..."



 Posted by Picasa