Monday, August 07, 2006


phoning greetings to birthday boy Pete Cummings he told me how much he had enjoyed, the night before, his young daughter Eva's impromptu tribute of a dance to a Thelonius Monk tune & it reminded me how much that Monk (& jazz generally however "cerebral") is dance music above all, which you don't have to tell kids (or Monk!), which reminded me to of one little version of paradiso I carry around in my head, that of the Lighthouse Cafe's "Sunday Concerts" at Hermosa Beach California in the 50's, which I read about in some sleeve note somewhere, where people could drop by in the afternoon & bring their kids to dig Chet Baker, Jimmy Giuffre, Chet Baker, June Christy &c &c. I just assume some dancing went on is all. The beach right there... Glad to see the place is still thriving, with live music every night!

 Posted by Picasa