Wednesday, January 10, 2007














Pages from "The Children's Encyclopedia"

for Michael Szarpowski & Bruce Conkle


1. Cascadia Border Patrol

I'd like to stop kicking,
but every time I do
something spectacular happens

that people will pay to see--
it's not like its even down to me,
& running my fingers counting

bribes along envelope tops
hurts me as much
as these January pellets

raining from my winkle-pickers
must hurt you, but
Centralia's where the Inland Empire

meets the real Empire &
you've entered our domain
as an ark of infinite sustain--

orchards hazy with
ciderblink down to
Dorn's sound, lowering chopper

heat differential maps
of backpackers loaded
versus ornithologists

lightened by self-hypnosis,
though in real life
if surveillance gets

that close it's probably what's
in your thermos
they're after.