Friday, September 12, 2008


terrific story about Lil' Wayne & teaching in post-Katrina New Orleans--

"On one of his best songs, the super-catchy “I Feel Like Dying,” Lil Wayne barely exists. He always sounds high, but on this song he sounds as though he has already passed
out.


A lot of the alarmism about pop music sending the wrong message to impressionable youth seems mostly overwrought to me, but I’ll cop to feeling taken aback at ten-year-olds singing, “Only once the drugs are
done, do I feel like dying, I feel like dying.”



First time I heard a fifth grader singing this in falsetto, I said: “What did you say?”



He said: “Mr. Ramsey, you know you be listening to that song. Why you tripping?”



My students always ask me why I’m tripping at precisely the moments when the answer seems incredibly obvious to me..."