Monday, March 15, 2004

Petting Cafes!: "It is tempting, on the evidence of this book, to compile a list of disgracefully honest answers to the question: 'What did you do in World War Two, Daddy/Mummy?' These could run: 'I inspected housewives' larders to make sure that they had no more than a week's food'; 'I drove young women round town, sending them into shops to see if they could trick the assistants into supplying goods off ration'; 'I was sent to jail for hiding my Canadian Army lover in a wall cupboard for a month'; 'I blew safes in the Blitz, relying on bombs to drown out the noise'; 'I blew safes for the Army, in North Africa and Italy'; 'I flogged coffin lids from the crematorium to cabinet-makers and shrouds to the underwear workshops'; 'I reported publicans for decorating their premises without a licence'; 'I was a tart, under orders to badger my clients for petrol coupons'; 'I was in Army Intelligence and was loaned to the police to help stamp out crown and anchor games'; 'I was a policeman trying to stop people sending flowers from Cornwall to London by rail'; 'I worked for the London County Council making sure that fan-dancers gave nothing away, and that comics were not corrupting servicemen with dirty jokes.' "