Wednesday, August 25, 2004


interesting English take on The Simpsons

"The Simpsons defend themselves with love for each other because this is the only defence. Homer, the greatest comic creation of our time, understands this. "I understand, honey," he says to Lisa. "I used to believe in things when I was a kid."

Not to believe in things is the only response to a world that is inevitably, irredeemably and pervasively corrupt. Homer is the boomer who lost his faith, even in rock'n'roll, though rock still, like so many things in his wonderful life, provides a kind of backhanded consolation. In one episode, he tells Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins: "You know, my kids think you're the greatest. And, thanks to your gloomy music, they've finally stopped dreaming of a future I can't possibly provide." "
 Posted by Hello