Sunday, October 02, 2005


fragment of letter, female handwriting, found walking back from the corner store, oct 2, 2005

"can one
like to do
how we
did not
as friends

(reverse)

my attititude
going for
be more
good as
asked me"



The dewy or was it shimmer
rising off the stand of wild
mint under the Catstream bridge,

sparse sleepy Toytown traffic
waddling up up the hill
past the firestation, the diner

where you worked--
unmatched vivacity in
a city of incandescent

waitresses--these gabled houses, through
brown fences a tobacco corona
ringed round stucco under a

jutting pipe, were insufficient,
weasel words, false memories,
backed into a corner

I emptied the dandelion wine
discreetly onto the ground,
less empathetic than the rock

I'd stumbled over,
reconstructing leaks
from instant coffee in the margins,

and a theory of everything
that didn't account
for walking downhill,

the age of Laing gave way to
the age of Foucault
while we slept, the flapping

muslin curtains and fairy lights
all I remember of the heatwave,
& if on that night I'd drowned

your sleek otter dive
would have been my unearned
polaroid epitaph.


Posted by Picasa