Friday, October 07, 2005


interview with Wallace and Gromit creator Nick Park, I'm hoping to cobble together some kind of Cronenberg/Were-Rabbit matinee double bill tomorrow.



"I didn't deliberately base Wallace on anyone--he started out as a rather stereotypical northern Englishman, wearing a sleeveless sweater, collar and tie all day long. Traditionally, you'd wear a flat cap and work down in the mine.

He used to have a moustache which is quite typical too. I got rid of it because it got in the way--you need to get your fingers inside the mouth to sculpt it. The cap also got in the way--I got rid of that immediately.

I was planning on Gromit being a cat at first. When it came to making him out of plasticine it turned out that a dog was a lot easier because of the smoothness of the coat and the length of his legs. I needed to get my fingers around the legs to move and resculpt them, otherwise your fingernails scuzz them up. "

Posted by Picasa