Saturday, December 15, 2007






via sit down man, you're a bloody tragedy this evocative set of images made at Thamesmead, Riverside School, 76-78--

"In my early days I was employed, at my second school, as a science teacher at Riverside School, Thamesmead. Situtated on the Bexley/London border, it was a relatively new school in a "London" housing estate. Riverside School is now Bexley Business Academy.

I went into teaching full of belief and idealism, knowing that our children had limitless potential. After 5 years I realised that there was no place for idealism in teaching. I left in 1978 not knowing what I would do.

Some of the photorgraphs in this set were shown in a "Half Moon Photogaphy Workshop" exhibition in 1979. I titled the exhibition "Lost at School". Of course I was referring to my own situation, not that of the children in the photographs.

My negatives and photographs sat mouldering in the back of my garage for 30 years before the wonders of the digital age allowed me to rescue them..."